Where are the majority of your files saved? For SCC students who log into campus computers using their student username (usually firstname.lastname), the default save location directs to their profile. These files are stored on a server, which has backups should anything bad happen to the server. For staff, the primary save location should be on a network drive. These files also live on a server that has periodic backups made.
- Benefit: Access files anywhere you have an internet connection.
- Benefit: Works on a variety of platforms, including phones.
- Con: Storage limits are typically smaller, and there might be a charge to get a larger storage capacity.
2. Save files to an external drive, like a USB drive or a larger external hard drive.
- Benefit: You can pick the storage capacity when you buy the device. The storage of USB capacity is constantly increasing and larger storage becomes less expensive.
- Benefit/Con: The device goes with you where ever you take it. Forgetful types might find this difficult.
- Con: Things can happen to these physical devices–a magnet could corrupt the files (this can happen if a USB drive is attached to keys!), rain/water could cause damage, and the device could get lost.